This post is sticky. Look below for new entries.
Happy Advent! Below is a list of some of the best sites for devotionals and prayers throughout Advent. Almost all the sites featured below will have new entries each day of Advent. We will update this list from time to time as we discover new websites. Resources marked “*(A)” are from the Anglican tradition.
Please feel free to share recommendations for Advent links & resources in the comments!
Don’t forget our Advent Devotionals category here at Lent & Beyond.
Sites featuring Regular Advent Devotional Reflections & Prayers:
- *(A) If you read nothing else, we encourage you to start each day of Advent with Scripture! Here are each day’s readings according to the Daily Office of the Book of Common Prayer (ESV Bible online). Should you prefer to read the Daily Office Scriptures in another version, you can find a clear table with all the readings here.
- Emily Polis Gibson’s Barnstorming blog and her special Advent series for 2015 “Anticipating God Among Us” – Emily’s mix of poetry, photographs, and reflections on Scripture make her Advent series a truly special gift to all who read her blog. Highly recommended!
- Biola University’s online Advent calendar. This WONDERFUL Advent resource that began 2013 is back again for 2015. Truly EXCELLENT! Substantive reflections on Scripture, artwork, music… Again, this site is a special gift. Don’t miss it!
- *(A) New for 2015: One of the best sites I’ve discovered since last Advent is Malcolm Guite’s blog. Malcolm Guite is (in his own words) “a poet-priest and Chaplain of Girton College Cambridge” His liturgically-themed poetry is wonderful. For Advent 2015 he will be offering series of posts with a reading of each day’s poem from his Advent Anthology from Canterbury Press Waiting on the Word. DON’T MISS THIS!
- New for 2015: related to the daily Advent poetry readings by Malcolm Guite, artist Lancia Smith has created a daily Advent image that illustrates each poem. These are beautiful Advent visuals! I’m excited about this resource!
- New for 2015: Tamara Murphy, who blogs at This Sacramental life, is once again posting a daily Advent Daybook series for 2015. (I’ve linked Tamara’s blog in the past, but somehow never got her blog included in my 2014 Advent links list.) Each day’s post includes a photo, a Scripture reading, a prayer, a musical selection, and a suggested activity. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. You can browse through her 2014 Advent Daybook entries here.
- *(A) Anglican Mainstream’s daily Advent devotionals: Anglican Mainstream is again posting daily Advent meditations from the Church of the Resurrection in Tampa, FL.
- *(A) Trinity School for Ministry’s daily Advent reflections, short daily reflections written by the faculty and students at the seminary.
- *(A) The Rev. Patrick Comerford’s Advent series for 2015 is entitled “Waiting in Advent with Dietrich Bonhoeffer.” His entries are usually very rich in terms of their focus on Anglican heritage.
- *(A) Kendall Harmon’s Advent category at TitusOneNine Kendall posts prayers, poems and various reflections throughout Advent. (Not always daily).
There’s MUCH more below… keep reading!