Over at the blog Grace & Peace I found a list of “35 X-ray questions for the heart” – a great resource for Lenten self-examination, and a spiritual inventory any time!
Here are the first 10 questions
Examine the following questions and ponder your heart for the existent idols and then crush the idols of our heart before they crush you.
- What do you love? Hate?
- What do you want, desire, crave, lust, and wish for? What desires do you serve and obey?
- What do you seek, aim for, and pursue?
- Where do you bank your hopes?
- What do you fear? What do you not want? What do you tend to worry about?
- What do you feel like doing?
- What do you think you need? What are your ‘felt needs’?
- What are your plans, agendas, strategies, and intentions designed to accomplish?
- What makes you tick? What sun does your planet revolve around? What do you organize your life around?
- Where do you find refuge, safety, comfort, escape, pleasure, and security?