Emily Gibson’s Advent Canticles series this year at her blog Barnstorming is something I’m enjoying tremendously and recommend highly. Each day she is posting one or two entries with links to several versions (ancient and modern) of Advent or Christmas carols – some well known, others less familiar, with the lyrics, and wonderful, brief, accompanying reflections and Scripture verses. A wonderful way to treat yourself to 5 or 10 minutes of quiet Advent worship this season.
Because I’m enjoying this series so much (it’s great getting to listen to new versions of some well-loved carols, and to discover other carols for the first time), I’m wanting to post an index here of links to all her entries. I’ll update this every few days throughout Advent.
For each entry, I’m listing the title of her blog entry followed by the name of the carol in parentheses.
December 25, 2013
All is Well [All is Well – Michael Farren/Sue Smith/Kenna Turner West]
December 22, 2013
The Grateful Earth Rejoiced [Gesu Bambino, Pietro Yon 1917]
A Need for Peace [Take a Walk Through Bethlehem, Trisha Yearwood]
Everything is Going to Change [Gloria, Song of the Shepherds by Jason Gray]
- Born For a Reason (Koppången – a Swedish Carol)
- Why We Love Him So (Jesus Christ the Son was Born – Gospel Carol)
- What Our Good God for Us Has Done (Wexford Carol)
- Go Where I Send Thee (Children, Go Where I Send Thee – Gospel song)
- Boundless Grace of Face (Christ Child Lullaby – Gaelic)
- Dewdrops Are Shining (Star in the East / Brightest and Best)
- “Ponder Nothing Earthly Minded” (Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence)
- “Let Us Be Transformed” (There is No Rose)
- “Turn Our Darkness into Light” (O Come, O Come Emmanuel)
- “Let No Tongue on Earth Be Silent” (Of the Father’s Love Begotten)